Find out what industry leaders think about metadata and the future of publishing and explore current trends in publishing and publisher metadata.
The course includes an overview of recent (1995-present) history and trends related to metadata and bookselling, analysis of four questions about metadata and the future of publishing asked of industry experts in The Metadata Handbook, and a look at recent industry issues and trends. At the end of the course, students will share their own thoughts regarding the future of metadata and publishing.
$199 ($179 for DBW Members)
- The Metadata Handbook: A Publishers’ Guide to Creating and Distributing Metadata for Print and Ebooks. Receive a 25% coupon towards the purchase of this book with course registration!
After completing this course, you should:
- Have a good overview of important publishing history and trends from 1995 to the present
- Be aware of current industry thinking on the future of publishing and the role of metadata
- Have completed your own research and presented your thoughts on publishing trends and the industry’s future
Who Should Take This Course:
- Publishing industry professionals
- Anyone interested in exploring the future of publishing
Prerequisite (or comparable experience):
- Interest in current trends relating to publishing
- Completion of the DBW U metadata course Introduction to Metadata for Books is helpful for history and background prior to 1995.
- Lesson 1: Recent History and Trends in Book Publishing and Metadata – 1995-Present
- Online bookselling and the changing role of metadata
- Amazon and online bookselling
- Business-to-business metadata
- Traditional booksellers move online
- Internet Standards
- Book Industry Standards
- Into the virtual marketplace
- Publishers move online
- The rise of digital content
- The thirteen-digit ISBN
- ISBNs and ebooks
- Metadata and digital publishing
- Lesson 2: Metadata Challenges Today: Observations from Industry Leaders
- What is the most important metadata challenge facing publishers today?
- What actions are publishers taking to address the challenge?
- If you could choose a first-priority action needed, what would it be?
- What outcomes would you like to see over the next 3-5 years?
- Lesson 3: Exploration of the following questions with industry experts
- The effect of Ebooks and digital publishing on the indstry
- The role of Amazon in the publisher supply chain
- The role of metadata in publishing
- Lesson 4: Student presentations and discussion of student ideas on the future of publishing and metadata
- Final assignment